Have you been missing pizza nights since you started your keto journey? Worry not, as today I have the perfect treat for you - a keto chicken pizza casserole recipe that is bound to become a favorite for the whole family. Before we dive into the delightful world of this casserole, let's explore some questions about enjoying pizza on a keto diet.
Dive into the comforting embrace of our Keto Chicken Pizza Casserole, where tender boneless skinless chicken breasts meet a harmonious blend of aromatic garlic powder and basil. This culinary gem is draped in a lush robe of low-carb marinara sauce, crowned with a golden layer of mozzarella cheese, and adorned with spicy pepperoni slices, promising a flavor-packed adventure that brings the joyous spirit of pizza night to your keto-friendly dining table.
Keto Chicken Pizza Casserole
With simple ingredients and just a few minutes of prep time, this recipe is a great option for a busy weeknight. Trust me, the first time you try it, you won't be able to wait to make it the next time!
- 3 Large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 12 tbsp. Low carb Marinara sauce
- 1 c. Mozzarella cheese
- 24 Pepperoni slices
Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Preheating ensures that your keto chicken recipe cooks evenly.
Prepare the Chicken: Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create six pieces. Sprinkle garlic powder, basil, salt, and pepper evenly on both sides of each piece of chicken.
Sear the Chicken: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until they have a beautiful golden hue.
Assembling the Casserole: Transfer the browned chicken pieces to the bottom of a casserole dish arranged in a single layer. Spread a generous amount of marinara sauce on top of each piece of chicken.
Adding the Toppings: Sprinkle a cup of mozzarella cheese over the chicken pieces, followed by pepperoni slices. Feel free to add other favorite pizza toppings such as black olives or green pepper.
Bake to Perfection: Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the toppings have browned and the chicken is cooked through.
- Versatility at its Best: This recipe offers different ways to enjoy it. You can experiment with different variations by adding ground chicken or chicken thighs as a base.
- Sides to Consider: A side salad or some cauliflower rice would complement this dish wonderfully. It's a great way to incorporate veggies into your meal.
- Storage Tips: If you find yourself with leftovers, store them in an airtight container. It keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, making it an easy dinner option for the next day.
- Spicing it Up: For those who enjoy a hint of spice, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes before baking adds a lovely kick.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I eat a slice of pizza on keto?
Eating a slice of traditional pizza while following a keto diet might temporarily kick you out of ketosis due to the high carb content found in the crust. This means your body will switch back to burning carbohydrates instead of fats for energy. However, fear not, as one slip won't ruin all your progress. Just make sure to get back on track with your keto diet right away.
What kind of pizza is OK for keto?
When you are on a keto diet, you can still enjoy your favorite pizza night by opting for a pizza with a low-carb crust. Varieties could include a cauliflower crust, almond flour base, or even a meatza (a pizza with a meat base). Top it up with your favorite pizza toppings like olives, green bell peppers, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese to keep the pizza cravings at bay.
Can you eat pizza crust on keto?
Traditional pizza crust is not recommended on the keto diet as it is high in carbs. But, the good news is there are several keto-friendly options available. You can try making a crust with cauliflower, almond flour, or coconut flour which contains fewer carbs compared to the regular pizza crust. It's a great way to enjoy a pizza night without breaking your keto lifestyle.
What is keto pizza made of?
A keto pizza is typically made of a low-carb crust, rich and sugar-free tomato sauce, topped with cheese and your favorite keto-friendly toppings. You can add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning or a drizzle of olive oil to enhance the flavor. For a meaty feast, you can add ground beef or Italian sausage to the toppings list, making it a hearty and friendly meal for everyone at the table.
Now, let's transition to the star of the day - our delectable keto chicken pizza casserole recipe.
- ●3 Large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ● 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- ● 1 tsp. Basil
- ● Salt and pepper to taste
- ● 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- ● 12 tbsp. Low carb Marinara sauce
- ● 1 c. Mozzarella cheese
- ● 24 Pepperoni slices
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the three chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create 6 pieces of chicken.
3. Sprinkle 2 teaspoon of garlic powder evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of basil to each side of the chicken breasts.
5. Apply salt and pepper to taste to each side of the chicken.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet has come
to temperature, add the chicken breasts. Sear them for 1-2 minutes on each side
without moving, so that they get some good color.
7. Place the chicken breasts in a single layer in a casserole dish or other baking pan
with high sides.
8. Cover each piece of chicken breast with two tablespoons of a low carb marinara
sauce. You can substitute this with any other low carb pasta or pizza sauce of your
choosing, just make sure that sugar is not in the ingredients.
9. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over top of the chicken breasts.
10. Top each chicken breast with four slices of pepperoni.
11. Bake the chicken for 30-40 minutes or until the toppings have browned, and the
chicken is cooked through.
Whether it's your first time experimenting with keto recipes or you're a seasoned veteran, this keto pizza chicken casserole recipe is sure to be a hit. Not only is it a fulfilling meal that caters to your pizza cravings, but it's also a wholesome dish that brings the joy of pizza night back into your life without any guilt.
Remember, the best part of cooking at home is making recipes your own. So, don't hesitate to try new recipes and add a touch of personal flair to them. Maybe next time, you could try adding a layer of cream cheese for a creamy twist or perhaps throw in some fresh basil for an aromatic uplift.
In the midst of your keto journey, finding recipes that are both comforting and adhering to your diet can be a challenge. This keto pizza chicken casserole recipe is not only a step towards a healthier lifestyle but also pure comfort food for those days when you crave nothing but a hearty meal.
Till next time, happy cooking, and here's to bringing back joyous pizza nights, keto style!
Hello, I'm Melissa, the founder and visionary behind Everyday Ketogenic. With more than 12 years of experience in content creation, recipe development, and blogging, I've cultivated this platform into a leading resource for anyone interested in the ketogenic lifestyle. Everyday Ketogenic is my canvas, where I paint with words and ideas, bringing the keto world to life.