This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may be paid a referral fee at no cost to you.
There’s something incredibly comforting about a casserole dish emerging hot from the oven, with its bubbly edges and golden-brown topping. And when you’re following a keto diet, comfort food that aligns with your low-carb lifestyle is like striking gold. That’s exactly what this Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole is – a gold mine of creamy cheese sauce, tender broccoli, and hearty tuna that’ll make you feel like you’re indulging, minus the guilt.
Whip up an Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole in a flash—this no-fuss recipe promises a delightful combination of flaky tuna and tender broccoli in a creamy Parmesan sauce, all with a crispy pork rind topping. Preheat, mix, top, and bake—30 minutes later, you'll be serving up a keto-friendly dish that boasts just 5 net carbs per serving. It's the perfect quick-prep dinner for a busy weeknight that doesn't skimp on taste or nutrition.
Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole
Dive into the comforting flavors of this Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole, a simple yet scrumptious dish that brings together flaky tuna and fresh, vibrant broccoli in a velvety blend of heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Topped with a golden layer of pork rind crumbs for an irresistible crunch, this casserole is a low-carb delight that transforms everyday ingredients into a cozy meal. Perfect for those on a keto diet or anyone looking for a low carb version of classic comfort food, it's an easy dinner that's sure to satisfy your taste buds without the carb guilt.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Net Carbs: 5 net carbs per serving
Crafting the Perfect Keto Casserole
Finding the right balance of flavor and texture without the carb overload is the secret to a knockout keto casserole. This low carb tuna recipes nails it with a few key swaps and quality ingredients.
- Canned Tuna: Choose good quality, solid white albacore tuna for the best texture and flavor.
- Broccoli Florets: These green beauties not only add a pop of color but also a dose of nutrients without the heavy carbs.
- Cheese: Parmesan adds a salty, nutty flavor to the casserole. Pre-shredded cheeses can be convenient, but grating your own ensures no added fillers.
- Creaminess Without Carbs: Heavy whipping cream and cheese create that creamy cheesy sauce we all love, without the need for high-carb cream of mushroom soup.
Getting the Texture Right
The crunch in a casserole often comes from bread crumbs or crispy onions, but here's how you can keep it keto-friendly:
- Pork Rinds: Crushed pork rinds mixed with parmesan cheese give that desirable crispy topping without the carbs.
- Al Dente Broccoli: Steam the fresh broccoli just until it's tender-crisp. It continues cooking in the oven, so this prevents it from turning mushy.
Step-by-Step: Creating Your Casserole
Here’s a quick walkthrough of how you’ll bring this Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole to life:
- Prep Work: Preheat your oven and chop your ingredients. This includes draining the tuna and chopping the broccoli into bite-sized florets.
- Sauté: In a large skillet, you’ll cook down the onions in butter until they're translucent, adding garlic at the end for a punch of flavor.
- Creamy Cheese Sauce: Combine heavy cream and parmesan until you have a smooth, creamy mixture that’ll act as the luscious base for your casserole.
- Mix and Assemble: After mixing the tuna and broccoli in a large bowl, stir in the creamy cheese sauce and spread it all into a baking dish.
- Crisp Topping: The pork rind and parmesan mixture gets sprinkled on top for that irresistible crispy finish.
- Bake to Perfection: Into the oven it goes until everything is heated through and the top is golden brown.
- Drain Tuna Thoroughly: Ensure your canned tuna is fully drained to prevent any excess liquid from making the casserole soggy. Pressing it in a colander can help remove more moisture.
- Steam Broccoli to Perfection: For the best texture, steam the broccoli until it's just tender. This keeps it from becoming too soft when baked in the casserole.
- Enhance the Creaminess: For an extra smooth and rich sauce, blend the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese on low heat until fully combined before mixing with the tuna and broccoli.
- Crispy Topping Hack: Combine crushed pork rinds with Parmesan to create a crispy, golden topping that adds a delicious crunch without the carbs.
- Baking Dish Tips: Lightly grease your casserole dish to prevent sticking. Using a 9x9 baking dish ensures the ingredients meld flavors while cooking evenly.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should be good for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven for best results, as it keeps the topping crispy.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
Absolutely! Just make sure to thaw it and remove excess moisture to avoid a watery casserole. Frozen veggies are a fantastic time-saver.
What Can I Serve With This Casserole?
While it’s quite filling on its own, you can pair it with a simple side salad or some keto-friendly garlic bread made with almond flour. This makes a great main dish or side dish recipe. Perfect for weeknight dinners.
Can I Add Other Veggies?
For sure! Feel free to mix in other low-carb vegetables like zucchini noodles, green beans, or even spinach for added color and nutrients.
Is This Casserole Freezer-Friendly?
Yes, it freezes well. Just cool it completely, cover tightly, and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating in the oven.
Key Takeaways for Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole
- Net Carb Count: Keep track of the 5 net carbs per serving as you enjoy this dish.
- Mix It Up: Don’t be afraid to add a personal twist with additional spices like cayenne pepper or a splash of lemon juice for your keto dinners.
- Perfect Pairings: Serve with a side of cauliflower rice or shirataki noodles for an extra-filling meal.
- Cooking Tips: Make sure your broccoli is steamed to just al dente to prevent a soggy casserole.
Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole Conclusion
There you have it—everything you need to know to master this simple yet spectacular Easy Keto Tuna Broccoli Casserole. Whether you’re new to the keto scene or a seasoned low-carb connoisseur, this dish is sure to become a staple in your recipe rotation. It’s the kind of dinner that not only satisfies your craving for something hearty and delicious but also keeps you right on track with your keto goals. Give it a try, and here's to enjoying the good old classic flavors without compromising on your healthy lifestyle!
- 15 oz. Canned tuna drained well
- 15 oz. Steamed broccoli chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ Onion chopped
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- ½ C. Heavy whipping cream
- ½ C. Parmesan cheese grated and divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ C. Pork rind crumbs crushed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
Add the onions to the pot, and saute until softened.
Mix in the garlic, and saute for 30 seconds.
Pour in the heavy whipping cream, and simmer until thickened.
Stir in ½ of the Parmesan cheese until well blended.
Combine the tuna and broccoli in a mixing bowl, and pour the sauce mixture over the top. Stir to combine well.
Spread the mixture into a 9x9 baking dish.
Mix together the pork rind crumbs and remaining parmesan in a bowl.
Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole.
Bake for 20 minutes.