I bet you've wondered, "Is brie keto?" Well, the answer is yes! Brie is not only keto-friendly but also one of the most beloved forms of dairy. On the ketogenic diet, you're aiming for foods that are high in fat and low in carbohydrates. Brie, a soft cheese made from cow’s milk, fits perfectly into this criteria. And guess what? It is also a great ingredient for many delicious recipes. Let's delve in deeper to understand this soft cheese's role in a ketogenic diet.
What Makes Brie Cheese Keto-Friendly?
Brie, like most cheeses, is an excellent addition to the keto diet due to its high-fat content and low carb count. It’s important to note that the serving size plays a big part in determining the number of grams of carbs and fat you're consuming. A standard serving size of brie (around 28 grams or 1 ounce) contains approximately 8 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein, and less than 1 gram of carbs.
Keto Baked Brie Recipe - The Perfect Addition To Your Menu
Now that we've established brie as a keto-friendly food, let's jump into a quick recipe. This Keto Baked Brie is not only simple and quick but also is a cheesy appetizer sure to satisfy your cravings. Plus, it’s the perfect addition to your keto menu.
For the best results, you'll need:
- 1 larger wheel of brie
- 2 pieces of parchment paper
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- Salt to taste
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
For the Keto Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of a keto-friendly sweetener like monk fruit
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
Please note: this post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Start by preparing the keto pie crust. Combine the almond flour, olive oil, garlic powder, xanthan gum, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Knead the mixture into a dough.
- Next, roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until it’s large enough to wrap around your brie wheel.
- Place the brie wheel in the center of the dough and fold it over the top of the brie, making sure to seal it properly. You want that melty cheese to stay inside while it’s baking.
- Brush the dough with the egg wash to get a beautiful golden brown finish.
- Transfer the wrapped brie to the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- While the brie is baking, prepare the keto cranberry sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cranberries, water, monk fruit, and orange zest. Stir frequently until the mixture starts to simmer, then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Once the brie is baked, let it cool for a few minutes before topping it with the cranberry sauce. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with low carb crackers or veggies.
Nutritional Information (Per serving):
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 12g
- Net Carbs: 3g
Be sure to check the recipe card for exact measurements and prep time.
Q: Can I use coconut flour instead of almond flour?
A: Yes, you can substitute almond flour with coconut flour, but remember that coconut flour tends to absorb more moisture, so adjust the liquid ingredients accordingly.
Q: Can I store leftover baked brie?
A: Yes, you can store your leftover baked brie in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat it in the microwave at full power for a few seconds before serving.
Q: Can I use other toppings apart from the cranberry sauce?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with your keto baked brie. Some great options could be caramelized onion, homemade keto jam, or a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Recommended Keto Cheeses
- Cream Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Monterey Jack
Brie, like many cheeses, is keto-friendly due to its low carb count and high-fat content. Including it in your ketogenic diet as part of a balanced meal can contribute to weight loss. Whether you're eating it on its own, on top of salads, or in recipes like our Keto Baked Brie, you're sure to enjoy this versatile and delicious cheese.
- Brie is a keto-friendly cheese, containing high fat and very low carbs. - Brie is an ideal fit for the ketogenic diet due to its nutritional profile. Per ounce serving (about 28 grams), brie contains approximately 8 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein, and less than 1 gram of carbs. This high-fat, low-carb profile allows it to fit seamlessly into a ketogenic diet plan. Brie's creamy texture and mild flavor make it versatile for several uses, from enjoying on its own to incorporating it into various keto recipes.
- Keto Baked Brie is a simple, quick recipe perfect for a cheesy appetizer. - Keto Baked Brie is a delightful, cheesy dish that you can prepare with just a handful of ingredients and a bit of prep time. The combination of the creamy brie and the crunchy, almond flour-based crust is sure to satisfy your taste buds. The keto cranberry sauce adds a touch of tangy sweetness to contrast the rich, savory brie. Plus, it's quick to prepare, making it ideal for when you need a simple but delicious appetizer or snack.
- A variety of cheeses, including brie, cheddar, mozzarella, and feta, can be included in a ketogenic diet. - It's not just brie that's perfect for keto, but a whole range of cheeses can be incorporated into your diet. Cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, and feta all have a high fat and low carb content, similar to brie. Each brings a unique flavor and texture, adding variety and interest to your meals. Be it a topping for your salad, a filling for keto crackers, or a melting pot of a creamy, delicious dip, these cheeses can help keep your keto meals exciting.
- Experiment with your Keto Baked Brie by trying different keto-friendly toppings. - While the keto cranberry sauce is an excellent complement to the baked brie, don't be afraid to get creative with your toppings. You could try homemade keto jams, sautéed mushrooms, sugar-free bacon bits, or even a sprinkle of toasted nuts for a nutty crunch. The idea is to experiment with various flavors and textures while keeping everything low-carb and keto-friendly.
- Always check the serving size to make sure you’re staying within your carb limits on the keto diet. - While cheeses, including brie, are generally keto-friendly, it's crucial to pay attention to serving sizes. The carb count can add up if you consume larger amounts. So, whether you're snacking on a slice of brie, adding it to your meals, or enjoying a serving of Keto Baked Brie, make sure you're aware of how many grams of total carbs you're consuming to stay on track with your keto goals.
So, is brie keto? Absolutely! And it's a great ingredient to incorporate in your new recipes. Now, don't let me stop you, go on and enjoy this creamy brie, a great option for all keto lovers out there!
Hello, I'm Melissa, the founder and visionary behind Everyday Ketogenic. With more than 12 years of experience in content creation, recipe development, and blogging, I've cultivated this platform into a leading resource for anyone interested in the ketogenic lifestyle. Everyday Ketogenic is my canvas, where I paint with words and ideas, bringing the keto world to life.