This article may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may be paid a referral fee at no cost to you.
Keep up with your appetizer game when you serve this Keto Bacon Cheddar Cheeseball. With only 5 ingredients, it takes only a couple of minutes to toss together. Creamy and full of cheesy, bacon flavor, this snack will put a smile on everyone’s face while keeping things healthy.
One of my favorite aspects about the holidays are the appetizers and snacks. There are so many to choose from that I often end up filling up before I even get to the dinner table. This usually means I have to pace myself on all the yummy precursor foods, ha! This year, even though I plan on sticking to keto, there still isn’t a shortage of delicious snack and appetizer options. I mean, this Keto Bacon Cheddar Cheese Ball is only one of many examples.
Let’s not forget about the Keto Spinach Dip and Keto Garlic Parmesan Dip, and those are only a couple! However, this year, I’m remembering to save room so I can make it to the Keto Green Bean Casserole and Keto Pumpkin Pie! I won’t make the mistake of filling up on just the appetizers, because there’s too much food to look forward to! The best part, I don’t have to worry about the “holiday 15.” This food is all delicious, but low carb so I can indulge without indulging.
How to Make a Keto Cheeseball from Scratch
- Mix - In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Mix again - Add in the garlic and half of the cheese and bacon pieces. Beat until combined.
- Chill - Cover and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Make the ball - Remove from the fridge and shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball using parchment paper. Press the remaining cheese and bacon pieces into the outside of the ball.
- Serve - Place on a serving plate with zucchini or cucumber slices, serve, and enjoy!
- 16 Ounces Cream Cheese, room temp
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 ½ Cups Real Bacon Bits
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic, minced
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese using a hand mixer.
- Add in 1 cup of the cheese and 1 cup of the bacon bits, along with the garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and place in the fridge for an hour.
Remove from the fridge and dump the mixture out onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into a rough ball.
Using your hand, press the remaining cheese, then bacon bits, all around the cheeseball.
- Gently pick it up and shape it to be a little more rounded and place it on a serving tray.
- Surround it with slices of zucchini, cucumber, keto crackers, etc., serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store, covered in plastic, in the fridge, for up to 4 days. I do not suggest freezing this cheese ball recipe. Since it has a lot of dairy in it, the freezing process changes the texture.
- Reheating - This cheddar cheese ball recipe is meant to be served chilled. If you reheat it, the dairy ingredients will melt or soften and ruin the ball.
- Use garlic powder instead - If you don’t have fresh garlic or don’t want to mince it, use garlic powder instead. 2 teaspoons should do the trick.
- Add green onions - For an even bolder flavor, you can chop green onions and add them to your cheese ball recipe.
- Use other cheeses - You don’t have to stick with the cheddar as your cheese of choice. You can use whatever you prefer. Just note that the shredded style of cheese works best with this recipe.
- Beef it up - If you want to fill up your cheese ball, you can always add even more of the requested ingredients. For example, add double the cheese and bacon to the mixture.
Common Questions About Keto Bacon Cheddar Cheeseball
What Do You Eat with a Cheeseball?
Well, normally, a cheese ball is served with various crackers. However, since this is a keto version, you’ll want to serve it with keto-friendly snacks such as celery, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, zucchini slices, Everything Bagel Bites, Keto Nacho Chips, etc. It’s important that even the sides served to dip in this cheese ball remain keto, or it was pointless to make the cheese ball keto in the first place. Many of the options listed for serving with a keto cheese ball also work great for a regular cheese ball as well.
Can Cheese Balls Go Bad?
Just like any dairy, cheese balls definitely go bad. If left out of the fridge, they curdle or go sour quite quickly. Of course, it’s perfectly fine to leave them out for a few hours if serving for a party of dinner. However, it’s wise to stick it back in the fridge, covered, when not in use. I wouldn’t keep a cheese ball, even stored in the fridge, for any longer than 3-5 days. This is up to your own discretion as well. If the cheese ball is still good after this amount of time, it’s up to you if you want to continue to eat it or not.
If you enjoyed this Keto Bacon Cheddar Cheeseball or have questions, please let me know in the comment section below or even on social media!
More Keto Appetizer Recipes You Might Like: